Practice your jumping position on a circle in trot or canter to help improve your balance.
Stand in your stirrups, keep your hands above the withers and drop your weight down into your heel. You can do this at home or when you’re out cantering, and it really puts the focus on our lower leg.
Don’t forget when you’re going cross country, its your legs that push your horse forward, not your seat, It will also help to imagine a 6in nail poking out of your saddle.
Read more great riding advice and tips
TOP TIPS for Horse and Rider
- KEEP CALM AND HAVE A CALM HORSE
- BUG BUSTING - Top tips to help protect your horse against summer bugs
- USE YOUR HACKS TO IMPROVE YOUR HORSE'S SUPPLENESS
- 5 TOP TIPS FOR ENJOYING THE SPRING WITH YOUR HORSE
- HALF-HALT Establish your horse’s rhythm
- TRANSITIONS - PICK THE SPOT AND BE DECISIVE
Top Gear New Products For Horse And Rider
- NEW FOR SUMMER 2018 - FOXY AND FABULOUS
- BE PREPARED WITH THIS SMART AND PRACTICAL SHORT WATERPROOF JACKET
- THE NEW KLEA VARIO and ASKAN VARIO JACKETS BY PIKEUR - Jackets that add a personal touch
- NEW TRAVELLER SET - The new Eskadron Classic Sports Collection
- A TOTE-ALLY STUNNING NEW ADDITION - from Kate Negus Saddlery