- Ensure you know your horse's weight at the start of the season. Weigh check him regularly so that you can adjust his feed if he starts to lose or gain too much weight.
- You must ensure your horses are properly checked morning and evening - once a day is not enough. Ask local people to keep an eye on them for you as well and to contact you if they have any worries. If you can organize someone to do a midday check as well that would be really helpful.
- Check your horse's water supply is working every time you visit.
- Make sure you remove rugs regularly to check for rubs or possible injury sites that are hidden by rugs.
- Remember that there is no feed value to grass in winter so your horse will need ample, regular supplies of hay each day
- Make it a habit to check your fencing daily.
- Always pick out and check your horse's feet daily.
- Run your hands over your horse's body to check for any injuries, any signs of heat or pain.
Click here for more Horse Care realted articles - keeping your horse healthy