To ride transitions well you have to be decisive.
Pick the spot where you’re going to ride your transition and count down from three before you give the aids. Don’t change your mind at the last minute or make your transition before or after your chosen point, unless your preparation is unsuccessful.
Plus try not fall into the trap of only riding progressive transitions. Once you’re comfortable and confident riding them, try some direct transitions, too as this will help you and your horse progress in your schooling.
Read lots more quick tips helping you, your horse and your riding
TOP TIPS for Horse and Rider
- KEEP CALM AND HAVE A CALM HORSE
- BUG BUSTING - Top tips to help protect your horse against summer bugs
- USE YOUR HACKS TO IMPROVE YOUR HORSE'S SUPPLENESS
- 5 TOP TIPS FOR ENJOYING THE SPRING WITH YOUR HORSE
- HALF-HALT Establish your horse’s rhythm
- TRANSITIONS - PICK THE SPOT AND BE DECISIVE
Top Gear New Products For Horse And Rider
- NEW FOR SUMMER 2018 - FOXY AND FABULOUS
- BE PREPARED WITH THIS SMART AND PRACTICAL SHORT WATERPROOF JACKET
- THE NEW KLEA VARIO and ASKAN VARIO JACKETS BY PIKEUR - Jackets that add a personal touch
- NEW TRAVELLER SET - The new Eskadron Classic Sports Collection
- A TOTE-ALLY STUNNING NEW ADDITION - from Kate Negus Saddlery