Horse – Q. Resisting going forward?
A. Horses that lack confidence often resist going forward as they are confused about what is being asked of them or that they find the demand is too difficult. Adjust the training, go back to simple steps which the horse finds easy and progress slower introducing lunge work to improve their confidence.
When being ridden, restriction through the reins is also a common fault. Trying to manipulate the horses' carriage with the reins and not through a strong seat will confuse the horse and make them uncomfortable.
Rider –Q. Loose leg Contact?
A. Riding with stirrups too long is often the cause for this along with tightness in the hips and seat. A very useful exercise to discover a natural seat and balance of the rider is to have a lunging lesson with their horse - without stirrups the rider will become more supple and move with the horses' natural pace. When the stirrups are reintroduced the rider should sit deeper in the saddle and therefore put the weight through the lower leg.
For more dressage advice and tips click here
TOP TIPS for Horse and Rider
- KEEP CALM AND HAVE A CALM HORSE
- BUG BUSTING - Top tips to help protect your horse against summer bugs
- USE YOUR HACKS TO IMPROVE YOUR HORSE'S SUPPLENESS
- 5 TOP TIPS FOR ENJOYING THE SPRING WITH YOUR HORSE
- HALF-HALT Establish your horse’s rhythm
- TRANSITIONS - PICK THE SPOT AND BE DECISIVE
Top Gear New Products For Horse And Rider
- NEW FOR SUMMER 2018 - FOXY AND FABULOUS
- BE PREPARED WITH THIS SMART AND PRACTICAL SHORT WATERPROOF JACKET
- THE NEW KLEA VARIO and ASKAN VARIO JACKETS BY PIKEUR - Jackets that add a personal touch
- NEW TRAVELLER SET - The new Eskadron Classic Sports Collection
- A TOTE-ALLY STUNNING NEW ADDITION - from Kate Negus Saddlery