Hacks out can also incorporate work to help your horse's suppleness.
You don't have to be in a school to practise getting your horse supple, obedient and balanced. Mix it up while out hacking. Use hills to help develop a medium or even extended trot. Make it fun whilst teaching him this new lesson without the restrictions of short sides and the end of the school looming too quickly.
Whist riding on a quiet track leg yield across and back. The one thing you have out hacking you don't have in a school, is space. If it goes wrong you have plenty of time to correct and ask again. Lastly, remember to praise and reward him when he does something correct or tries for you.
For more schooling tips and exercises click here
TOP TIPS for Horse and Rider
- KEEP CALM AND HAVE A CALM HORSE
- BUG BUSTING - Top tips to help protect your horse against summer bugs
- USE YOUR HACKS TO IMPROVE YOUR HORSE'S SUPPLENESS
- 5 TOP TIPS FOR ENJOYING THE SPRING WITH YOUR HORSE
- HALF-HALT Establish your horse’s rhythm
- TRANSITIONS - PICK THE SPOT AND BE DECISIVE
Top Gear New Products For Horse And Rider
- NEW FOR SUMMER 2018 - FOXY AND FABULOUS
- BE PREPARED WITH THIS SMART AND PRACTICAL SHORT WATERPROOF JACKET
- THE NEW KLEA VARIO and ASKAN VARIO JACKETS BY PIKEUR - Jackets that add a personal touch
- NEW TRAVELLER SET - The new Eskadron Classic Sports Collection
- A TOTE-ALLY STUNNING NEW ADDITION - from Kate Negus Saddlery