IS HE HOT OR COLD?
Apart from the obvious signs, such as sweating or shivering, how do you really know if your horse is hot or cold?
The most accurate way to know what your horse’s temperature is, is to actually take it with a thermometer, this will certainly put your mind at ease.
However if you just want an indication as to whether he is too hot or cold to help you decide which rug to put on, then here are a couple of pointers…..
To see if he is cold….
Feel his extremities such as lips or ears, if they are cold your horse is feeling a little chilly. His coat will be another indication, just like the hairs on humans arms, his coat may fluff up and stand on end if he’s feeling the cold.
To see if his hot….
Feel around the shoulder area or in between his front legs – When horses are a little too warm, they tend to feel damp and clammy in these areas.
For 100's more great tips helping you and your horse click here
TOP TIPS for Horse and Rider
- KEEP CALM AND HAVE A CALM HORSE
- BUG BUSTING - Top tips to help protect your horse against summer bugs
- USE YOUR HACKS TO IMPROVE YOUR HORSE'S SUPPLENESS
- 5 TOP TIPS FOR ENJOYING THE SPRING WITH YOUR HORSE
- HALF-HALT Establish your horse’s rhythm
- TRANSITIONS - PICK THE SPOT AND BE DECISIVE
Top Gear New Products For Horse And Rider
- NEW FOR SUMMER 2018 - FOXY AND FABULOUS
- BE PREPARED WITH THIS SMART AND PRACTICAL SHORT WATERPROOF JACKET
- THE NEW KLEA VARIO and ASKAN VARIO JACKETS BY PIKEUR - Jackets that add a personal touch
- NEW TRAVELLER SET - The new Eskadron Classic Sports Collection
- A TOTE-ALLY STUNNING NEW ADDITION - from Kate Negus Saddlery