Tips for successful jumping lessons
- Thoroughly warm up you and your horse; Cold, tense muscles are more likely to sustain strains and injuries so allow sufficient time.
- Perform flat work exercises including lengthening and shortening of the stride, ride loops and circles, use direct transitions from walk to canter to engage the hind legs.
- Balance, responsiveness and suppleness are invaluable for a controlled canter which is key to successful jumping.
- Gridwork is a gymnastic exercise for the horse and must be progressed at a level the horse is confident with.
- Combine combinations and small courses for variation, always keeping the level well within your comfort zone.
- Always finish when the horse is jumping well, do not be tempted to continue as a tired horse may make mistakes and resent the task.
For more tips and advice on riding and horse care click here