Rise in Sycamore poisoning prompts equine insurer to issue advice to horse owners
Petplan Equine, a leading UK specialist equine insurance provider, is reporting a meteoric rise in the number of calls it is receiving from policy holders with horses suffering Ayptical Myopathy, or more commonly, Sycamore poisoning.
SYCAMORE TREE SYCAMORE LEAVES SYCAMORE SEEDS
A typical Myopathy, is a potentially fatal illness caused by horses ingesting Sycamore seeds. Vets across the UK are reporting alarming increases in the number of cases they are seeing of an illness – the symptoms of which are similar to colic - and are warning owners to be vigilant in protecting their horses and looking for signs of poisoning, especially at this time of year.
Petplan Equine veterinary expert, Gil Riley explains the condition, how it is caused, symptoms to look out for and action to take to help horse owners protect their horses and spot early signs of the illness. Visit http://www.petplanequine.co.uk/events/sycamore-poisoning.asp to read Gil’s advice.
TOP TIPS for Horse and Rider
- KEEP CALM AND HAVE A CALM HORSE
- BUG BUSTING - Top tips to help protect your horse against summer bugs
- USE YOUR HACKS TO IMPROVE YOUR HORSE'S SUPPLENESS
- 5 TOP TIPS FOR ENJOYING THE SPRING WITH YOUR HORSE
- HALF-HALT Establish your horse’s rhythm
- TRANSITIONS - PICK THE SPOT AND BE DECISIVE
Top Gear New Products For Horse And Rider
- NEW FOR SUMMER 2018 - FOXY AND FABULOUS
- BE PREPARED WITH THIS SMART AND PRACTICAL SHORT WATERPROOF JACKET
- THE NEW KLEA VARIO and ASKAN VARIO JACKETS BY PIKEUR - Jackets that add a personal touch
- NEW TRAVELLER SET - The new Eskadron Classic Sports Collection
- A TOTE-ALLY STUNNING NEW ADDITION - from Kate Negus Saddlery